Sunday, October 28, 2012

2 weeks later . . .

It has been two weeks since I ran the Toronto marathon and the time has passed so quickly.  I did not think it would take me so long to recover after the marathon. I know that I pushed my body to its limits but I thought after one week I would be feeling back to normal. It has taken me nearly the full two weeks. I have used these two weeks to relax, plan my next phase of training, and spend more time with Gabriel and Lucas. I have really enjoyed the time and it has allowed my body and mind to take a much needed break.

Hiking around Pink Lake in Gatineau Park
My next major race is the world championships marathon in Moscow this August (dependent on me qualifying).  To improve on my 2:28.57 marathon in Toronto Ian and I have decided I will concentrate on the half marathon and then have a 20 week build-up to the marathon. Tomorrow is the start of the buildup to the half marathon (hopefully in New York City if I can get in as an elite athlete). Ian and I have talked about a gradual buildup of mileage and intensity paying close attention to the small details. As Ian likes to say "crossing the t's and dotting the i's". The small details are crucial to running well and getting you to the start line healthy. For me this includes the following:
  • A mix of dynamic and static stretching 2-3 times per day
  • Rolling on the foam roller 2 times per day 
  • Core work
  • Water running
  • Physical therapy and active release once per week
  • Warming up and cooling down properly
  • Good nutrition
I am very excited to start the next build-up heading towards the world championships. I am looking forward to focusing on the the half marathon at the beginning of the build-up and to improve my leg speed which I think will really help me in the marathon. Below is my tentative plan of competitions leading up to world championships:
  • Sao Slivestere 15km, Sao Paulo, Brazil, December 31, 2012
  • New York City half-marathon, USA, March 17, 2013
  • Another half-marathon 8 weeks out from world champs (not sure where yet)
  •  IAAF world championships marathon, August 10, 2013
·         I have had some tightness in my right hamstring and sacroiliac joint since the marathon. I went to get active release on this with Arthur Cuenco. Both have been feeling much better and my body feels ready to start gradually back training. If you are in the Ottawa area and need physical therapy or active release I would highly recommend Arthur.

I am so thankful for all the support and messages I have received. I really appreciate all of your kind words and encouragement. The support gives me more motivation to get out and train harder this build-up. Below is a few more pictures of Lucas :-)

Lucas dressed up for Halloween :-)



One more of Lucas dressed up for halloween 

1 comment: