Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sporting Life 10km Toronto, May 02, 2010

The Sporting Life 10km in Toronto was my second race on Canadian soil and I was excited to do a 10km. It was good mentally to race a shorter distance after doing the half marathon in Montreal 2 weeks ago and also to get some speed work in for the Ottawa Marathon at the end of May.

We arrived in to Toronto on Saturday afternoon and drove the course. We had been told that it was a downhill course but I did not expect it to be that downhill. There were a few slight uphills but compared to the downhill sections they did not really count.
A good chance to run a really fast 10km. I was told that the times run on this course would be 20-30 seconds faster than on a flat course.

On the start line there were 14,000 runners ready to run down what they say is the longest street in the world ‘Yonge street’ in support of kids with cancer. A really great cause. It was supposed to be raining with thunder storms but luckily it was holding off. Great running weather – overcast, 15 degrees Celsius and minimal winds.

The gun went off and my aim like in Montreal was to get out to a fast start. My body and legs were feeling really good and excited to do this 10km. In the first 2km Lucy Njeri was about 10m ahead and I was content to stay behind for a while but I decided as we were approaching the first little uphill to really push and then run hard down to try and get away and get with a group of guys. This strategy worked well for me. I really focused on the uphill and then stayed with a group of guys for the next 3km. By this time I had a quick look behind and could not see Lucy.

I went through 5km in 16.02 – a personal best however I can’t count this due to the downhill. I was feeling very strong and was hoping to run 32minutes high. At the 7km mark we made a turn and from the 7km until the end it was not downhill but flat. My legs felt a little weird going from running downhill to the flat. It was hard to keep the same momentum going. I lost a lot of time from the 7km to 8km but picked it back up after that. The last 2km I really focused on pushing to the finish. I crossed the line in 33.09. I was a little disappointed as I thought I could have run in the 32minute range however great to be back in the 33 minute range. If it had been on the flat probably equivalent to around 33.30 :-)

This 10km race was a really good confidence booster and good to get some leg speed. Now I only have 3 weeks left until the Ottawa Marathon so only a few more weeks of really pushing hard. I am really excited to race the marathon and I am hoping to run a big pb. This link is to the finish line video from the race and post-race interviews: http://runningmagazine.ca/2010/05/sections/news/video-sporting-life-10k/

(Below is the partial coverage of the race. My post race interview is at about 27 min)
Watch live streaming video from canadarunningseriestv at livestream.com

1 comment:

  1. Mary,
    Great race description, and that had to be fun running on a fast course. Looking forward to your performance @ Ottawa.

    Just one of your Houston acquaintences. I was forwarded your blog, and I'll be following it for sure. Always cool to follow the training of a competitive athlete.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete